Biographical Notes: Rodney O. Davis (1933- ) B.S. University of Kansas, 1954, M.A., 1959; Ph.D., University of Iowa, 1966. Rodney Davis came to Knox College in 1963. He was named Szold Distinguished Professor Emeritus of History in 1994. He administrated the Midwest Studies Center (established in 1973 as an interdisciplinary academic program focused on the American Midwest) in the 1970s, served on countless committees and chaired the college sesquicentennial celebration of 1987. He received the Philip Green Wright-Lombard College Prize for Distinguished Teaching twice, in 1967 and in 1989, and the Caterpillar Faculty Achievement Award in 1996, among other honors.
He has taught, spoken and written extensively about Illinois history, Mormons of Nauvoo, the Mississippi River and Lincoln. Davis retired in 1997 but continued to teach. Together with Douglas L. Wilson (1935- ), also on the faculty at Knox College, he founded the Lincoln Studies Center, dedicated to study of the life and work of Abraham Lincoln.
Scope Notes: The collection was donated by Professor Davis upon his retirement and includes professional correspondence from 1961-1994. Also see in the College Archives: Faculty Series; Academic Departments Series, History, and Sesquicentennial Series.
Collection range: 1961-1964
Collection size: 2 cartons
Donor: Rodney O. Davis