Historical Notes: Alpha Xi Delta was founded as a social sorority by ten Lombard College women on April 17, 1893, in Galesburg, IL. The Alpha Chapter at Lombard remained a local sorority until 1902 when the Beta Chapter was established at Iowa Wesleyan University (Mt. Pleasant). A national constitution was adopted that same year. In 1914 a chapter house was built on the Lombard College campus (razed summer of 2001). When Lombard College closed in 1929 the Alpha Chapter transferred to Knox College and pledged the members of a local sorority (Zeta Pi) to complete their membership. In 1973 the chapter was allowed to become dormant and officially dissolved in 1975.
Scope Notes: The collection includes items related to both the active and the alumnae chapters of Alpha Xi Delta: chapter histories, membership directories, budgets, song books, official documents and publications. Also included are memorabilia from various chapter activities, scrapbooks, correspondence, photographs, and information related to the Alpha Xi Delta chapter house at Lombard.
Collection Range: 1899-1981
Collection Size: 1 carton and 2 oversize packages
Donor: Alpha Xi Delta Alumnae Chapter